Kindergarten Space Activities

Last week I led my students in learning about space. A few weeks back our Journey's theme was about what we can see in the sky. My students were very interested in reading about stars so I knew I had to do a study on space with them.

I won't go into too much detail because I'm short on time and don't want to bore you (I forgot to take pictures of most of their work so it would just be a lot of reading about our activities). I'll give a short recap of what we did.

Monday: KWL about astronauts, watched videos on YouTube about astronauts, and wrote about whether or not we would want to be an astronaut with a drawing of ourselves in space.

Tuesday: Learned some space vocabulary words from a Prezi I made, completed a space words syllable practice booklet together (a resource I found at Just Another Day in Mrs. Tabb's Class), and each student matched vocabulary words to pictures (found at the blog above also).

Wednesday: KWL about the moon, watched some songs about the moon on YouTube, made a moon phase viewfinder.

Thursday: Read Postcards from Pluto by Loreen Leedy, watched a song about the planets on YouTube, and made an accordion book of our solar system.

Friday: Watched The Magic School Bus: Space Adventures.

I made a packet of some space themed activities (some I didn't even do in the classroom this time around).



Here is what's included:

-2 sets of KWL charts. 1 set is more generic and the other set is good to use while teaching about the moon.

-"Would you want to be an astronaut?" writing paper and a separate sheet so students can draw themselves in space.

-Directions and graphics to make a moon phase viewfinder so your students can look at the moon and match it to the correct phase on their viewfinder.

-A mini booklet of space words for students to unscramble and glue together.

-Play dough sheets that you can laminate and have students mold dough into the words that match the pictures.

Right now I'm offering it for $4.50 in my TPT store but it will normally be priced $5.00. Check it out here.

As always, let me know if there is anything you'd like me to add. I'll try my best to try and find the time :)

Comments

Popular Posts